Monday, September 7, 2009

I need to be a better blogger!

Wow...it's been almost 2 months since my last post. It's just that I don't have a very exciting life. And, I really love reading blogs but writing in one...not so much.

But today is Carter's birthday so I spent some time in the sewing studio and wanted to post a picture of the little jacket I made for him. It is not my finest work!



The jacket looks orange in the pictue but it is really a tomato red. The pattern looked so simple but I don't think I have spent so much time with my sewing "best friend" in a long, lomg time. Here is my "best friend."



This is the best seam ripper I've ever found. It's hard to use the other kind once you have used one of these. It's especially good when you need to rip out serger stitches.

Back to the jacket...I used 2 sewing machines and my serger to make this but did not use the iron. One of the machines was set up with red thread and the other with black. The fabric is a poly fleece but the binding on the bottom and the sleeves is swimsuit fabric. It is extremely dense. I broke 2 needles trying to sew on it. Then, there were so many layers at the botton of the zipper that the machine with the red thread (my Kenmore/Janome) kept beeping and giving that annoying message "stopped for safety reasons." I finally did some hand stitching at the bottom of the zipper so the inside isn't too pretty. But, it's a jacket to play in so I think it will be okay.

I also cut out a pair of pajamas for Carter. It's Little Einsteins fabric. Just a cotton but should make up cute. Maybe I will get some work done on them this week.



I had big plans for this 3 day weekend...3 projects in 3 days. That didn't happen. Oh, well!

Happy Birthday, Carter! I hope your little sister gets here soon!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Well I'm sorry it was so hard to make because it sure is cute!!!

Jaime said...

I can't wait to see the jacket. I'm sorry it sounds like it was a pain to make but I'm sure Carter will love it! He'll love the Little Einsteins pjs too (both pair). No Olivia news yet. Miss you.